CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 25, 2011

Baby Max

I am pretty sure I posted in february and it didn't publish. That said, nothing of significance! I had some great baby showers (no photos, haven't edited those yet).
Then the big arrival of baby Max. He's just so cute and time consuming that I haven't found myself with free time unless I am pumping. (no picutres of that either ;)


Max came on March 2nd (a wednesday) at 5:32 pm. I went into labor the night before and wasn't sure if it was braxton hicks or real labor (it all felt the same to me, just timed differently). I guessed and called out to work (yes, I was still working and had even thought of working thursday if possible!). I kept myself busy walking, and then eventually resting when it didn't seem very regular. When I woke up at 6 am I decided to walk to see if it would help and it did, so I showered and got ready for the hospital. We (Jason and I) arrived at 9 and I was dialated to a 4! I was really worried I would be less and have to go home, so this was relieving to me. Cathy came later (my mother in law) as she is a labor and delivery nurse at this particular hospital (Sunrise) and they treated me like family. All my nurses were really nice, plus having a private nurse (Cathy) proved to be so helpful (ice chips, blanket, reassurance etc). I got an epidural by the anesthesiologist on call. That was great but as the contractions progressed it didnt cover the pain on one side. Apparently the baby was on a side and was pressing on a nerve not covered by an epidural, which is called a "window" pain area. This was the worst part as it hurt ridiculously bad (the baby's bones were literally rubbing on my nerves). The only thing which took that pain away was a bolus of 2% lidocaine by the anesthesiologist, which thankfully I got 4 times. Thankfully the baby repositioned and turned around 3:00 after the nurses put me on my tummy (as my legs were so numb I couldnt even move my toes, I was paralyzed legs down). So with the c-section off the table, and baby pin position he dropped into position and I started pushing just before 5 oclock, and 37 minutes of pushing later out came Max. He was so handsome (I am biased). Jason did (reluctantly as the doctor unexpectedly offered it to Jason) cut the umbilical chord. My Mom arrived during the pushing, so she came in while I was still being sutured up.

We all went home the next morning to recouperate (I got almost no sleep that night between the bathroom and the baby). I was up for almost 3 days (they call it "sleep" but all I got were 1 hour naps). Max turned yellow over the weekend which was concerning. He also did not nurse well at all, problems latching, getting angry and falling asleep before he got anything. Thankfully my friend Angie brought over 2 bags of breastmilk (as she is breastfeeding her twins) which I was able to supplement with until my own  milk came in. This definately helped the jaundice subside. After a week, my Mom went back to Arizona (which I was really sad about because she would take him at 3 am after I had breastfed).

 After a couple lactation consultants ( and lots of tears) I have just gone to pumping the breastmilk and feeding it to max in a bottle. He is a fast eater and does not like to wait. Right now he is in a growth spurt and it eating between 3 to 4 ounces per feeding! He is also a very gassy baby and we are suprised manytimes by adult sounding burps and flatulence coming out of such a tiny infant. This causes him to be very upset at times. Currently we are trying "no dairy" diet for me which seems to be helping him.

Max loves the bath. After we (finally) got the clearance from his pediatrician for full baths after the circumcision, we gave him his first full bath this week (he has sponge baths before, hold onto your hats). He really seemed to love it and only got upset when I took his washcloths away.







I think Max looks so much like Jason. Other times I think it looks like my brother Loren and Jason combined.  He definately looks like a boy.

6 comments:

August and Melissa

He is soooooo cute!!!!!

Brandon & Jillyn Larsen

what a cutie! you didnt even have to push too long. glad you're still able to breast feed through pumping. i dont have kids, but that just sounds frustrating. cant wait to meet him someday!

Chandra

Oh! He's so cute!!!! He totally has your eyes and Jason's lips! Glad you guys are getting the swing of things. You are a pro!!! xoxo

Jon

What a stinking cutie! Thanks for sharing sounds like a tiresome but overall happy first month together! My milk didn't come in for 6days and I think that was the most frustrating part of breastfeeding oh and them getting the hang of it. But way to be persistent, it gets better once they get a little older! I'm so excited for you guys, he is such a good looking baby!
Kara

Alisha

Love the photos!! He's so cute. I also think he takes a little after you too Juli, but it's so hard to tell with a newborn. He's just adorable.

It looks like he's grown a ton! Is he still wearing newborn clothes? I love his little zip hoodie.

Katy

He is so cute!!!